1. Heat oil in a large casserole dish.
2. Addshallots and cook for 5-6 mins until startingto soften and brown.
3. Add leeks for 2 mins,then stir in swede, parsnips and carrots.
4. Pour in barley and wine, cook until winehas reduced by half.
5. Add stock, bay, thyme,parsley and seasoning. Cover pan, bringto the boil, then simmer for 45 mins untilbarley and veg are tender. Stir occasionallyto stop it catching.Meanwhile, make the dumplings.
6. Heatoven to 200C/180C fan/gas
7. Rub flourand butter together to form breadcrumbs.
8. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.Sprinkle over 2 tbsp water, mix to forma soft dough. Divide into six and roll intoballs. Dot on top of stew and transfer tooven. Cook, uncovered, for 20-25 minsuntil dumplings are golden.