1. Preheat oven to 400 F.Peel and roughly chop the onion.
2. Place in a large roasting pan along with tomatoes.
3. Drizzle with olive oil.Slice off the top of the head of garlic so that the cloves are exposed.
4. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Then, wrap in parchment paper. Next, place the head of garlic on one side of the roasting pan. Roast the tomatoes, onion and garlic until the tomatoes are starting to brown and the garlic is tender, about 40 to 50 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.Once cool, spoon tomatoes and onions into a blender with the chickpeas, fresh herbs, salt, pepper, and 2 cups of the vegetable broth. Squeeze the cloves of garlic from the head and add to the blender. Puree until smooth.
6. Transfer the soup into a pot and add more vegetable broth if a thinner consistency is desired. Bring to a boil.
7. Heat a large pan over medium heat.
8. Add the coconut oil followed by the sorghum. Cover and cook, shaking the pan frequently, until the sorghum has popped.
9. Remove from heat.Divide the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the popped sorghum and fresh thyme.