1. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 10x15 jellyroll pan with no stick cooking spray and set aside.In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat pumpkin over medium heat until hot. Stir in baking soda and remove from heat.
2. Let cool to warm.In the bowl of your mixer, beat shortening and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about a minute. Beat in egg until combined.
3. Mix in pumpkin mixture, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
4. Mix into batter until just combined.Stir batter from the bottom with a spatula to make sure all ingredients are mixed in.
5. Mix together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle the top of the cake evenly. Sprinkle with cinnamon chips, pressing gently into the batter.
6. Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 12-15 minutes, until top springs back when lightly touched in the center.
7. Let cool for 30 minutes, then sprinkle top with powdered sugar.