1. Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. Slice fish in half horizontally so that it is of nearly an even thickness (about 1/2 inch thick).
2. Cut fish into 6 equal portions.
3. In a shallow dish combine pecans, bread crumbs, black pepper, and salt. In another dish beat together egg and water; place flour in a third dish. Coat each fish portion with flour, dip in egg mixture, and finally in pecan mixture.
4. Place portions on a large plate; cover and chill for up to 30 minutes while preparing mayonnaise mixture.
5. For mayonnaise mixture, pat the drained, roasted peppers dry on paper towels; coarsely chop. In a small serving bowl stir together chopped peppers, mayonnaise or salad dressing, chutney, lemon juice, garlic salt, and ground red pepper. Set aside.
6. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
7. Add fish; cook for 3 minutes. Turn fish; cook for 3 to 4 minutes more or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. (Reduce heat as necessary during cooking to prevent overbrowning.)
8. Serve with mayonnaise mixture. Makes 6 servings.