1. Combine the cake mix, applesauce, apple cider, eggs, and apple pie spice in a mixing bowl. Beat until completely combined.Press the shredded apple to remove as much excess juice as you can. Stir the apples and butterscotch chips into the cake batter.Use a flour and oil baking spray to coat the large donut pan. Spoon the batter into each cavity, filling it 1/2 to 3/4 full.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
3. Let cool in the pan 3-4 minutes before removing from the donut pan. Use a knife to loosen the edges of the donuts from the pan before lifting out gently. The butterscotch chips may stick to the pan, so use the knife to get under the donut as well when lifting. Cool completely on a wire rack.
4. Place the frosting into a microwave safe bowl. Stir in the apple pie spice. Microwave for 30 seconds or until the frosting is pourable. Dip the top of the cooled donuts in the frosting.
5. Let set.
6. Place the butterscotch chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir until creamy.
7. Heat for 15 seconds at a time if needed. Spoon into a baggie and cut on tip off.
8. Drizzle over the tops of the donuts. Store in a very loosely sealed container for 1-2 days. Makes 18 donuts.