1. The day before: make the dressing.
2. Put the oregano or marjoram, apinch of salt and the garlic into a food processor andpulse to a paste.
3. Add the lemon juice and whizz untilsmooth. Stir in the olive oil and season – it should besharp and a bit salty.Cover and chill.Two hours before serving: bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add theasparagus and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Drain and coolunder the cold tap. Cover and keep cool.
5. Put the beetroot in a large bowl and toss with twothirdsof the dressing.
6. Add the lemon zest and springonions, cover and keep at cool room temperature withthe remaining dressing.To serve: add the watercress to the beetroot and tear in the basil.Toss in the asparagus and season with freshly groundblack pepper. Taste before adding salt as the cheese isquite salty.
7. Mix lightly, so you don’t dye everything pink,then pile into a serving dish. Crumble over the cheeseand pour the remaining dressing on top.